Monday, September 2, 2013

Choosing "Just-Right" Books

Our main focus in reading workshop so far has been choosing books that are "just right." Last week we had a lesson in which we compared shoes to books. I brought in several different kinds of shoes, and we talked about the purpose of each. Students discussed that each type of shoe has a purpose, and it wouldn't work well to wear hiking shoes to a fancy occasion or to wear flip flops to go running.

In addition, we talked about shoes fitting just right. When I wore Mr. Bartin's shoe around the classroom, it was too big and floppy, and I almost fell. When I tried to put on a shoe that belongs to my four-year-old daughter, I couldn't even get it on my foot. Shoes that don't fit right are uncomfortable, unsafe, and can really ruin your day.


Books are the same way. We have to think about our purpose for reading. Do I just want to pick a book that I will enjoy, or am I trying to learn something specific?

Is the book the right fit? If I don't know the words, or I can't understand what I am reading, it's not a good fit. At the same time, if the book is too easy, it's not going to help me become a better reader.

To help us remember how to choose good books, we use a method called IPICK. This is what it stands for:

I choose a book.
Purpose (Why do I want to read it?)
Interest (Does it interest me?)
Comprehend (Do I understand it?)
Know (Do I know most of the words?)

Just as we go to the store or our closet to choose the "just-right" shoes, we have to think about choosing the best books for us. I am sure that soon our students will be excellent book choosers for themselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment